.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Its Official: Kites is a debacle in the making


The high-budget action-romance 'Kites', starring Hrithik Roshan, Barbara Mori and Kangana Ranaut seems like a major disaster in the making - in a new development '3 idiots' director Rajkumar Hirani refused to edit the film even after Hollywood director Brett Ratner was hired for the project.

Hirani was approached by the Roshans a couple of days ago but the director flatly denied the request because he felt the film was not what he hoped it would be. Hirani is also busy with hsi own projects, 'Ferrari Ki Sawari' and 'Munnabhai Chale Amrika', the third installment of the celebrated franchise. "This film that is Rakesh`s most ambitious venture has two versions. The international version, as is common knowledge now, is being edited by Hollywood`s Brett Ratner because Rakesh feels Ratner's sensibilities will make it suitable for an international palate." a close source said.

Now Rajkumar Hirani snubs the film


Meanwhile the director of 'Kites' Anurag Basu revealed that he had numerous differences with producer Rakesh Roshan over the film. He said that there were constant arguments over the way the film was to be shot. "I wouldn`t call them creative differences. Because we were both creating the same film and moving in the same direction. But yes, Rakeshji`s vision of cinema is quite different from mine," said Basu, "See, Rakeshji was not just the producer of Kites. He`s also a very big director with a vast experience as filmmaker behind him. He naturally had very strong opinions on how the film should be shot. It`s all fine now. Over and done with. I just hope all the hard work is worth the effort," he said.

'Kites' hits theaters on May 21st and will release in two versions - the international one which was edited by Brett Ratner and the desi one which still lies on the cutting room floor. Shockingly, Basu said that he has no idea when the film is releasing, and that he was just a prop in the film, rather than the director. "I'm just a technician on the film, just like the cinematographer or editor. I know as much as any one else who has worked on Kites. But I've heard the film is being released on May 14 or May 21, I don`t know which date it actually is. But I`m happy it`s finally being released," he said. "I still maintain I had no creative differences with Rakesh Roshanji. When I didn`t have any hesitation in walking out of my first directorial venture `Kuch To Hai` when I had differences with my producer Ekta Kapoor why would I not do the same with Kites, if necessary, when I`ve proved myself as a director with `Gangster` and Life...In A Metro."

As we reported earlier, 'Kites' underwhelmed producers and critics at Cannes, lost a big chunk of money, and resorted to Hollywood chops. Kites was a flop at Cannes, and was an even bigger flop when producers resorted to viral marketing. Will the film make money when it finally releases on May 21st?